Sometimes, people can become so obsessed with weight loss that they try VERY goofy diets and tricks, rather than follow a healthy diet and lifestyle routine. Doing so can make you weak and can have adverse effects on your health and well-being. If you want to lose weight, you don’t have to starve yourself or torture your taste buds by eating bland food.
It’s important to note that intermittent fasting is not the “latest dieting trend,” despite the fact that it has gained more popularity in recent years. From a historical standpoint, virtually all of humanity has survived on an intermittent fasting lifestyle with the exception of around the past hundred years or so—prior to that, very few had to means to eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner each day—nor was the concept even thought about. You ate when you were hungry and when there was food; oftentimes, there would be no food for days, even weeks. So intermittent fasting is more along the lines of “back to the basics” than a revolutionary new idea.
WHAT IS INTERMITTENT FASTING?
Intermittent fasting is a voluntary fasting method in which people abstain from eating meals for the major part of the day. There are several variations of intermittent fasting, where people choose different time slots for eating meals. The most popular form of intermittent fasting is the 16:8 method. People who practice this method have an 8-hour window during the day to consume their meals. They fast for the rest of the 16 hours.
HOW INTERMITTENT FASTING CAN HELP YOUR WEIGHT LOSS JOURNEY
When you consume food for only 8 hours of the day, your body uses this food to produce energy for the rest of the 16 hours. As you will not be eating anything during the remaining 16 hours of the day, your body will also have to use the excess fat that is stored in your body to convert it into energy. As the extra fat in your body gets burned, you lose weight and slowly start to get back in shape.
However, you must keep the following points in mind to see the best results of intermittent fasting for weight loss:
- During the 8-hour eating window, restrict yourself to eating healthy meals.
- During the 8-hour eating window, please do not overeat or stuff yourself with junk food.
- During the 16 hours in which you are barred from eating meals, do not drink sugary beverages like milkshakes, smoothies, fruit juices, and caramel lattes.
- You can drink tea and coffee, but it should be sugar-free.
- Keep your body hydrated throughout the day because fasting can lead to dizziness. Water will help you stay fresh and active.
- It is best to choose your 8-hour eating window during breakfast and lunchtime. For example, you can take your breakfast at 8 am, a light brunch (preferably fruit salad) at 11 am, and healthy lunch at 2 pm. After 2 pm you should stop eating and skip your dinner.
- Before you set out to try intermittent fasting, it is best to consult your physician first. There are a few medical conditions like low blood pressure and anemia for which doctors don’t recommend intermittent fasting. You should also avoid intermittent fasting during pregnancy.
So, now that you know how intermittent fasting can help your weight loss journey, do some more research to see if it makes sense for you. If you do try it out please let us know if saw positive results in your body weight and physique!