There are times when people follow strict workout routines, along with consuming a healthy diet, and while they may drop a dress size, the weight on the scale shows the name number.
In other words, they might be shedding a few inches, but the fat content in their body is still the same as before.
This brings us to two very important concepts in the world of fitness, known as inch loss and fat loss.
Many people often fail to distinguish between the two, which is why it’s important to understand how these two terms are different from each other as you continue to make headway on your weightloss journey.
As the name suggests, fat loss refers to the loss of fat from the body. Our body fat is like energy storage or reserve which is stored in adipose tissue, mostly under the skin, the body cavity, or sometimes small amounts in the muscles.
When energy-producing substances in the body become limited or sparse, the body responds by calling on these very fat reserves.
Fat loss is more specific than weight loss, and it’s also more healthful than the latter.
How to Burn or Lose Fat
There are many ways through which you can encourage fat loss in the body, such as:
- Strength training
- Consuming a high protein diet
- Eating more healthy fats
- Filling up on fiber
- Cutting down on refined carbs
- Increasing cardio training
- Consuming more iron-rich foods
Signs You Are Burning Fat
There are various signs that indicate you are burning fat. These are:
- You are able to exercise in a fasted state
- You are losing weight
- Your energy levels are much more stable
- You have reduced sugar cravings
- Your body looks much leaner than before
Inch loss, on the other hand, refers to losing inches from specific areas of the body such as thighs, waist, and hips, to name a few. Note here that inch loss doesn’t always lead to weight loss as well.
How to Lose Inches
There are many ways through which you can encourage inch loss in the body, such as:
- Eliminate consumption of unhealthy foods
- Keep yourself hydrated
- Be more active
- Try your hand at circuit training
- Consume more fiber
- Make your workouts sessions more intense
- Cut carbs and eat more proteins
- Avoid sugar and sugar-rich drinks
Signs You Are Losing Inches
There are various signs that indicate you are losing inches from your body. These are:
- Your clothes become loose
- You have started exercising more often
- You look physically flexible and more active
- You are drinking more water
- You are sleeping better
- You are more comfortable in what you wear
Fat loss and inch loss are quite similar to one another in terms of how both processes work. For instance, when it comes to inch loss, you are basically losing inches from areas that have large fat content in your body.
However, since muscle is more dense than fat you may end up staying the same weight despite dropping a few pants sizes.